Monday, January 18, 2021

1 18 2021

 Sunrise?  Nope.  

I stayed up a little late working on untitled SPAM project to the point of stringing it and playing around, but not yet finding where the frets go.  

I like the sound of the thing, but this aint you grandad's SPAM box.  The tin is really, really thin and the inside is actually plastic.  The force of strings under tension is pulling the box in on itself with big dents that have the strings as their center.  I'm going to play around with it and see if this is a failure mode, either with total collapse or an inability to keep the strings in tune for long.  

So I am abandoning the name Spamjo because I am not sure that will be the resonator for all that long. Also, Porky is not a good name.  And having spent the last few days with the SPAM food product, I don't believe it rises to the level of pork. 

Since I the wood I used for the neck and a little base to make it easier prop up came from something from a neighbor, I think I'm going to name it Jack's guitar. 

===

My wife agreed that the sound to the thing was great, so we had some fun playing around on Jack's guitar.   Because the one of the strings was nice and thick my wife had flashbacks to her cello days.  

I thought it might be neat to have both strings the thick, lower note bits.  Well, in trying to get the tension on the string it pulled through the hole in the SPAM resonator. . . So much for that.  

That leaves a one string instrument that sounds pretty good, but I already had a one string; I was wanting to get two string to increase my range to all of the pop melodies I've been collecting.  So back to the drawing board.  Time to take a break from making -- at least from making instruments.  

===

Tore out the SPAM resonator -- oh, what a saga that was!  I put a flat used cat food can.  It is obviously less powerful of a resonator, but much easier to mount.  

I'm pretty happy with Jack's Can Guitar -- final name for the project. 

===

Saw in meme form: art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time. 

===

Saw that the sunset was doing that special space nebula thing, so I sat outside and working on finding my frets on Jack's Can Guitar while watching.  I might become that guy who plays music on the porch -- wouldn't that be an interesting type of guy to be?