Saturday, January 16, 2021

1 16 2021

 I could tell it was going to be a brilliant sunrise, so I went to the Walmart parking lot -- my go-to place for a wide view.  The view did not disappoint.  At one point a Coke delivery truck parked right in my line of sight, so I had to move, but no matter. 

===

I had bought some SPAM because I saw videos of people using the rectangular can to make a good resonator for string instruments.  I sizzled some up and then added eggs to make a scramble. 

I can see how someone might acquire a taste for it, but I am not in love with it.  A "what is this?" signal keeps going up my nervous system when I get too big a bite of Spam without enough compensating egg. 

===

I think what I have been learning on the keyboard fits well with today: a section of Oh, What a Beautiful Morning from the musical Oklahoma -- yes I know you want me to link to Hugh Jackman singing this.

Oh, what a beautiful morning

Oh, what a beautiful day

I've a got a wonderful feeling 

Everything's going my way

If I am going to play this on a string instrument (at least in the key it is written) I think I'm going to need a second string to increase my range I can pick.  So, I better keep working on eating that SPAM.  I want to build another string instrument for under $2 soon.   

===

The cloud cover stayed all day, leading to a glorious sunset as well.  My wife and I went to the location where we can get a good view of sunsets.  It's good to know these things in advance. 

===

Emptied the SPAM out into a bowl and put it in the refrigerator so I could clean out the can.  I started cutting out some a strip of wood to be the head stock. It was from a piece a neighbor had given me, knowing my hobby and that he just wanted to throw it out anyway. 

 After discussing the matter with my wife, I am going to be conservative and try to make a 2-string instrument out of the spam can because I have seen examples of that before, but never one as a 3-string.  Why take the risk?  I only need a few more half-steps of range to play the rest of the songs I currently want.  This means I'll have to save making a three string for another later, and unless I want to disassemble Diddley One, Plucky, or untitled SPAM project, I'll need to buy some more strings -- $5-$10.  What am I made of money?