Monday, May 6, 2019

Oh, Still a Doomer

I try to make the doomer case less and less because the process of making something deepens your mental associations, understanding, and recall, and I have found I am not one of those people who can function well with constant knowledge and advocacy of our system's weaknesses, or even the inevitability of death for you, me, everybody.  I've spent enough time there, and it isn't worth much to me.

So I don't actively seek out knowledge or rhetoric about doom, but if a real gem in the genre comes my way, I am liable to share it.   I have run into the site Small Delicious Life.  If I were trying to convince someone we are doomed, ie we're not going to voluntarily stop what we are doing until collapse, I would point to the article The Compassionate Systems Theory of Change.  Basically, we are where we are because attention is limited and the structures around us are inertia standing in the way of change:
The way our electricity is generated can lock in orders of magnitude more pollution that we can ever affect by turning our lights off. The way our cities are built can lock in order of magnitude more pollution than we can affect with personal driving choices. We built these systems to cope with our limited ability to pay attention—to think and choose. Changing systems is the most powerful lever we can pull.
I just don't think these systems are going to change.  It's a matter of not being able to coordinate, or convince current winners to give anything up, especially any matter of control.  To go more in-depth on why check out Meditations On Moloch, or Moloch's Toolbox.