Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Here in My Car

A great song about social isolation, nodding towards the role cars play in exacerbating the matter.



Unfortunately, I think I will be buying a car again pretty soon.  My wife has been pushing me to get one.  I hate them and what they have done to my country, but I think the logic works like this:

IF you live in the 90%+ of the United States
     THEN a car is a kind of time travel machine.

I understand that if an urban area is properly structured for people (see A Pattern Language) the time travel is already done for you, but I am talking about my real world here, not what I would do with a magic wand.

With a car, I'll cast my net wider as I go back to work.  Also, it'll make it possible to work a second job.  I know that to a great extent the second job would be simply paying for the car, but did I mention my wife wants me to have a car again?