Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bird Wave

I had written the first draft of this months ago, before the long quarantine had begun.

==


It's a work day, by which I mean it is a job day for the majority -- whether that majority is Silent, living lives of quiet desperation, or even happy, I cannot say.  Only that they are at a job and I am not.  I am at a library, on the third floor.

My frugal phone has a radio function enabled, something nearly all phones had available for years, but only recently turned on; folly and greed can outrun technological progress.  I listen to a classical station and a piece I've never heard before uplifts me.  The outer walls of the library are just glass -- window after window, what I thought was absurd modernism now shown to be very useful.  I can see the flights of birds, most of it below my level.  I see groupings swell up in light and come back down in waves, close enough to the movements of the music to be exhilarated further.

A perfect hour, the bloom of the moment [1], but I had errands to run, and so I was to leave very soon after that, but not before the next song was over.

==
[1] My second reference to Walden in this quite short piece.