Sunday, February 7, 2021

The founder of the mother of wheat

 My stray thought was that "Aaron Aaronson" would be the first book in a library's collection, so I thought maybe it would be a source of common pseudonyms.  

I had not seen the movie Hot Fuzz, so I didn't know that character, now I do. 

But of more interest to me is an opportunity for a weird wiki find.  Uhhh. . .

Aaron Aaronsohn (Hebrew: אהרון אהרנסון‎) (21 May 1876 – 15 May 1919) was a Jewish agronomist, botanist, and Zionist activist, who was born in Romania and lived most of his life in the Land of Israel, then part of the Ottoman Empire. Aaronsohn was the discoverer of emmer (Triticum dicoccoides), believed to be "the mother of wheat."

And. . . 

Aaron Aaronsohn was born in Bacău, Romania, and brought to Palestine, then part of the Turkish Ottoman Empire, at the age of six. His parents were among the founders of Zikhron Ya'akov, one of the pioneer Jewish agricultural settlements of the First Aliyah. He had two sisters, Sarah and Rivka. Aaronsohn was the first car-owner in Palestine and one of the first to own a bicycle, which he brought back from France

Emphasis added by me.