Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Round Up #20

Free Books Read

Romeo and Juliet.  A rereading, of course.  In fact, I taught it for several years.  I had a conversation recently with a friend that reminded me that we discount a great many books we read when we were younger, leaving them in a ghetto to no longer be examined.  Romeo and Juliet is a play not just for the young, but everyone who was once young.

Hamlet.  I think I had last read it in high school.  It was more powerful for me then when it was the story of a person, this time I caught the subtleties to know it is a story about a world.  If you think life is unfair, you should really examine death more closely.  Hamlet is a play not just for the dead, but everyone who will one day be dead.

Reddit

That's why I'm the friendly doomer.

Oklahoma is not exactly what you think it is.


Aphorisms/Shorts

We are living an odd double life, still a rush from judgement in face-to-face encounters, but a stampede to judgment online. Something has to give.

As Hume lifted Kant from his dogmatic slumbers, Captain Beefheart lifted me from my slumbers of normality. And so far, the results have been lasting.

Speaking of music, I find that Beefheart and Miles Davis great for drawing and painting, terrible for writing a draft.  I listen to pink noise instead.

 Only artificial things can get as clean as most conservatives want, and most conservatives don't know that.

Of all the lessons to teach a Harvard or Oxford grad, the hardest seems to be a non sequitur.  Particularly about where one went to school.

In reviewing the cliche I hate the most, I came across someone criticizing another, "it is what it is."

Anti-social media platforms which allow only upvotes are the ultimate fool's paradise.

To someone who wrote: "Imagine actually believing things in 2019 LMAO."  . . .  Imagine believing that as you don't believe in anything you are free from consequences.

The literati: by pretending to have read everything, they end up not reading anything (at least not deeply).

Reason operates on the Faith that it has all the information.  (Faith often reasons that it doesn't).