Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The "Freedom Only" Challenge

YouTube is really starting to piss me off.  The number of ads is really taking off, cutting videos up in more and more places, including this new technique of running two ads back to back.

I don't want to be the frog that died in water that was turned up a few degrees at a time, so I am setting up  a little challenge for myself: I want to go 6 months, June to December, with my information diet restricted to books and my  The Best of the Free Internet list.  I don't want advertisements beyond tepid whimpers asking to support the site.  I am trying to rebuild my attention and focus.

I was on vacation for the first week of June, so it was easy enough to begin the habit.  I didn't get on the internet at all. Since then, I have stayed to my rules.  Any instances of links that don't follow my rules were gathered before I went on the trip.

This is most restrictive media diet I have put myself on since the first six months what I call My Walden Years.  As I am married, I have less control over my environment than I did in those days when everything was as Jim Morrison of The Doors said "everything was simpler and more confused." I am not going for complete monastery-like purity.  I won't interfere with my wife's wish to watch Netflix during dinner.  And while it is possible that I avoid seeing a movie in a theater the entire time, if I don't, I will watch those incessant ads -- I mean highly entertaining trailers -- but I will not use it as an excuse to rant.

My round-up posts may very well suffer greatly during this time.  And for that matter, my other posts may as well, since I am not going to engage in research beyond my little open-source playground.  On the other hand, I could see this potentially helping me to find my own voice, and it could prevent me from getting bogged down in opening a bunch of tabs, trying to figure out what evidence and quotes I can draw on from other sites. (As I have stated before, I would positively welcome being e-mailed with links or quotes of others with similar ideas, especially those who have expressed them earlier, or better.)

==

Degringolade wrote a piece responding to last week's post. He concludes:
Folks don't talk about politics as a means of solving our problems anymore.  They talk about politics as a vehicle to vent their hatred and to affix blame for the inexorable decline of a country that seems intent for a class/civil war and a far-too-interesting interregnum.