Thursday, March 11, 2021

Milton on his Italian visit

From Areopagitica: a speech for the liberty of unlicensed printing. To the Parliament of England via

 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/44733/44733-0.txt

I have seen and heard in other countries, where this kind of

     inquisition tyrannizes; when I have sat among their learned

     men, (for that honour I had,) and been counted happy to be

     born in such a place of philosophic freedom, as they supposed

     England was, while themselves did nothing but bemoan the

     servile condition into which learning amongst them was

     brought; that this was it which had damped the glory of

     Italian wits; that nothing had been there written now these

     many years but flattery and fustian. There it was that I found

     and visited the famous Galileo, grown old, a prisoner to the

     Inquisition, for thinking in astronomy otherwise than the

     Franciscan and Dominican licensers thought. And though I knew

     that England then was groaning loudest under the prelatical

     yoke, nevertheless I took it as a pledge of future happiness,

     that other nations were so persuaded of her liberty.