Thursday, March 11, 2021

Milton and a love of learning

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/44733/44733-0.txt : 


vou are often to me, and

     were yesterday especially, as a good watchman to admonish that

     the hours of the night pass on (for so I call my life, as yet

     obscure and unserviceable to mankind), and that the day with

     me is at hand, wherein Christ commands all to labor, while

     there is light


But if you think, as you said, that too much love of learning

     is in fault, and that I have given up myself to dream away my

     years in the arms of studious retirement . . . yet consider that, if it

     were no more but the mere love of learning, whether it proceed

     from a principle bad, good, or natural, it could not have held

     out thus long against so strong opposition on the other side

     of every kind.