Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Videos on Simple Mechanisms

I have gathered an interest in mechanics and simple machines.  Time will tell how far this interest will move into the shop and become objects, but the result of this interest is that I have some video that may serve to instruct and amuse.

This video shows how to make a wheel with hand saws, and then make a groove so the wheel can be turned into a pulley.

Next, another video in the same series that makes wooden gears and uses them to in a simple hand generator.  The whole series is fantastic.  PhilipStephens007 is my favorite maker [1].  I assume his actual name is Philip Stephens.

Here are some other wooden mechanisms that can be made once you have reinvented the wheel.  Next, a video cued to up a master-level endgame. . . AND.

Also, here is a a generator set up using old CDs to make the wheel.  It is of the hot glue school of building, which I am the last person to knock.  I love to see things repurposed.  I try to do it with an attitude, calling it junk punk.

==

[1] The first video of his I saw was making a foot powered scroll saw.  I thought it was just about the manliest thing I had ever seen -- a throw-back to when manly meant being useful, rather than complaining loudly or sometimes looking muscular.

His latest, reusing chipboard, left me inspired.

Also, my goodness!