Sunday, February 19, 2017

Topic: Modularity

As I have begun to dip my feet in the waters gridbeam, I have began to think more about why it is so cool.   Three things stick out: 1) modularity 2) ability to stack components super efficiently and 3) open source.

I have had a lot of fun with my first few projects, and I am convinced it is a great technology.  I am going to stock up on some more metal gridbeam. nuts, bolts and washers.  I believe, in a very literal way, that this will be better than money in the bank.

I started researching other designs in the "nomadic furniture" school of thought (here's an insanely good example) and saw that joints could be made just out of the material itself, such as a mortise and tenon joint.

Post-apocalyse bonus.  You can make mortise and tenon joints just hand-tools.



So there is no need for nuts, bolts etc to make the joints work.  And so it seems to simply be a design problem to make it modular.  So here are three examples of the kind of "wow, it just clicks into place" brilliance of modularity.

1.



2.



3.




It's too bad these projects aren't presented as open-source and free.